Java 8 is a stable release of Java. It is used by millions of Java professionals over the globe. Here, we will discuss the System Requirements for Java 8. In this section, we will discuss the requirements that we must meet to install Java 8 on different platforms:
Java is a platform-independent language so we can write the Java code on one platform and can run it on a different platform having JRE. For example, the code written on Windows can be run on the Linux system.
JDK (Java Development Kit) is available for all the major operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Solaris, etc.
However, Java dropped its support for some older versions of the operating systems. So the latest version of Java will not be supported on the older versions of these operating systems.
Check the list of the supported versions of Java on different platforms from here.
Let’s discuss the system requirements for Java 8 on different platforms:
To install Java 8 on Windows, our system must meet the following requirements:
- Windows 10 (8u51 and above)
- Windows 8.x (Desktop)
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Vista SP2
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 (64-bit)
- RAM: 128 MB
- Disk space: 124 MB for JRE; 2 MB for Java Update
- Processor: Minimum Pentium 2 266 MHz processor
- Browsers: Internet Explorer 9 and above, Firefox
For Mac OS X
To install Java on Mac OS X, our system must meet the following requirements:
- Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.8.3+, 10.9+
- Administrator privileges for installation
- 64-bit browser
A 64-bit browser (Safari, for example) is required to run Oracle Java on Mac.
To install Java on Linux, our System must meet the following requirements:
- Oracle Linux 5.5+1
- Oracle Linux 6.x (32-bit), 6.x (64-bit)2
- Oracle Linux 7.x (64-bit)2 (8u20 and above)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5+1 6.x (32-bit), 6.x (64-bit)2
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.x (64-bit)2 (8u20 and above)
- Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2+, 11.x
- Suse Linux Enterprise Server 12.x (64-bit)2 (8u31 and above)
- Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS, 13.x
- Ubuntu Linux 14.x (8u25 and above)
- Ubuntu Linux 15.04 (8u45 and above)
- Ubuntu Linux 15.10 (8u65 and above)
- Browsers: Firefox